- Opportunity for me and my children to become bi-lingual
- Enjoying a wide variety of cuisine, both to eat and to learn to cook
- Broadening my understanding of Who my God is as I see Him in new ways living in a different place than my home culture
- Opening my understanding to many more possibilities ofwhat worship looks like
- Appreciating basic similarities in humankind
There are also many cultural differences I find hilarious, or at least want to find hilarious, if I'm honest:
- Personal commentary on weight is appropriate and expected. Many of our old friends have accosted me with, "What happened to you? You have become so thin? (ummm, I was pregnant before...)" One dear old granny we know took one look at me and Mark and essentially said to me, "WHAT? Did you give your weight to your husband?! He has become fat and you've become too thin. She then sat me down and lectured me, asking probing questions about my lifestyle and when I confessed that I exercise she severely scolded me and told me that only men should exercise, it is dangerous for women and makes us weak.
- Appropriate timings are totally culturally relative. We get phone calls before 7am or after 10pm just to chat, as if it is the most normal time in the world to call someone and catch up with them. Yesterday our landlady brought her visiting friend by at 7:30am, wanting a tour of the house. We were all in our pajamas, devouring a mountain of pancakes, none of the beds made but I cheerfully gave a tour, what else could we do?
- Giving strong advice really is a sign of affection and friendship. It has taken me years to giggle at this one (and I'm not 100% successful even now) but it really is funny when people (especially those with little child rearing experience themselves) let me have it about how my children are underdressed, like when they have no sweater because it's 80 and sunny. Two of my children often have allergy related runny noses, which invites lots of helpful advice on the dangers of drinking cold beverages the importance of avoiding ice. When I have the humility to just listen and smile I really do learn a lot about their own values and beliefs. When the steam puffs out from my ears and a steely grin belies my annoyance it is a missed opportunity to grow in friendship and understanding.