Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Recharge

By choosing to live in a village, there is much that we embrace with enthusiasm and a few things we are slowly learning to accept.  I love being part of a tight knit community in which my children drift in and out of a couple neighbors’ homes all the time, and theirs do the same in ours.   We help each other with daily life stuff, like picking burrs out of the kids’ clothing and minding babies.  Being the introvert that I am (I do love to connect with people, just recharge ALONE), it is challenging to never know when I will get a minute to myself at home.  Just when I have my own children set up for a rest time so I can sneak off to eat some American candy and read a book by myself, the doorbell often rings and I welcome in whoever stands there.  Neighbors float in and out randomly all day long and many others visit too, often seeking a consultation with the Doctor Sahib, my husband.  Most days I make 3-4 cups of tea, some days closer to 10. 



After months of this I started feeling a little panicky at times…”WILL I EVER HAVE A MINUTE TO THINK A WHOLE THOUGHT ALONE!??!”  I considered how I handled this feeling at other times in my life (believe me, as a mom of four little ones, this is NOT the first time my introvert boundaries have been challenged).   I remembered that at other times in my life riding a bike has been an excellent escape for me, (sometimes hauling little people in a trailer, but still alone on the bike...the little people in these pics are just so cute I had to share!  Great memories of VA).  I am a nicer person when I ride a bike, a kinder, gentler me.  The endorphins of a good workout are a fantastic mood lifter, as is getting out of my house. 




My husband was quickly agreed  when I proposed getting a bike for me (he likes a nicer wife, who wouldn’t?)so when we were in the big city this past January, we got a Sanity Saving Cycle and hauled it back up the mountain.  Once most of the snow had snow melted I went on my first ride and it was rekindled love to have the wind in my face as I flew down the road alone.  Usually I ride out on a road that is slated to be the next national highway but right now is perfect for riding because it’s a work in progress so there isn’t any traffic besides the flocks of goats and sheep on their way to pasture.  It is bumpy and rocky and a loooooong way down to the river, but it’s nice and wide for a bike.





Sometimes I just have enough time to coast out 20 minutes (downhill) and then pedal hard back to the house 20 more minutes (uphill).  Other days I have time to ride till the road ends, turn around and camp out on a rock, spending a couple hours watching the eagles, reading, journaling, thinking, meditating, praying before I ride home.   




I still can hardly believe I get to ride my bike in the Himalayas!!!  It’s such a gift, a fabulous benefit of living here.