Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Eagles

The evidence for God's loving care to me personally, and to the earth is all around me.  Another year has come full circle.  Ten months ago fields were covered in 2 meters of snow.  Seven months ago they sprouted green shoots of barley which were watered by rain and have since ripened and been harvested, and now the barley has been sown to sleep again under a blanket of snow until the sun awakens it in April. 


Another year is coming to an end.  My children are growing taller and stronger and smarter and funnier and more sarcastic.  My face has a few more lines and there are a few more grey hairs on my head.  All this is His grace and care.  Scripture assures me of His nearness, of His listening.  And yet there are days when I am unsure if He really hears me, days when I want to experience His open ear to me.

Last week I was feasting at my table in the wilderness, savoring what might be my last day out there this year.  From that vantage point I see snow covered peaks, orchards in Fall colors, villages built into the sides of mountains.  But I have not seen eagles out this way so I asked God for eagles that day, feeling a bit like a greedy child in an ice cream shop who already has 3 scoops on her sundae and is asking for a fourth. 

I made my tea, heated my scone and sat and read for a while.  Then I sensed a Whisper saying, "put that down and just enjoy."  I looked out and saw an eagle flying way out by the village across the ravine.  I looked the other direction and there was another one across the river.  I was stunned. He heard me and sent me eagles. 

Then I looked to the right and there was an eagle right at my eye level about 15 meters away, circling.  He then turned to fly about 6 meters directly in front of me.  I have seen many eagles in Kinnaur but usually they are far away from me, never this close.  I could see this bird's eye, and watch his tail feathers swivel as he made a sharp turn.  He flew up the valley and was gone from my sight. (My eagle pictures are from Google, I did not take them).

I let out the breath I had been unconsciously holding in while this incredible event unfolded before me.  It escaped as a sob.  He heard me and sent me eagles.  He certainly didn't have to send them, but did all the same. This very personal reminder has given me reassurance that He also hears the many other requests I'm pouring out before Him.  Those majestic birds are a reminder that is His ear is not deaf, nor His arm to short to rescue.  I find myself living in expectation of eagles, of someday seeing answers.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, sweet Jenny! This is beautiful! I love that you asked like a greedy child in an ice-cream parlor asking for fourth scoop. Of course he doesn't have to answer, but I love that you asked and that he answered. I love that he knew at that moment that you needed this and he showed you he can! He showed you His love, goodness, and that He does indeed hear your cries!

    ReplyDelete